FIVE-SPICE ASIAN CHICKEN TACOS WITH SPICY MANGO SALSA + SWEET CABBAGE SLAW
Tacos and foot massages: two of my favourite things, not necessarily in that order.
This recipe is a collaboration with my brother, Nick, and are also more of a celebratory meal — not something that I'd eat everyday, but certainly worth every bit of indulgence.
It's a spicy mango salsa, paired with a sweet and flavourful five-spice chicken. It's a fresh and yummy combination for a summertime BBQ, Taco Tuesday, or just any random night of the week.
MAKES 8 TACOS
4 skinless, boneless, organic chicken thighs
2 tbsp. tamari
2 tbsp. full-fat coconut milk
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. coconut sugar
2 tsp. Asian five spice powder
1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
juice + zest of 1 lime
1/2 tsp. sea salt
pinch black pepper
2 ripe mangoes, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 red Thai chili pepper, minced
juice of 1 lime
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 head of purple cabbage, shredded
1/4 c. fresh Thai basil, finely chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp. raw honey
pinch of sea salt
8 corn tortillas
5 radishes, thinly sliced or mandolined
1 avocado, sliced
your favourite hot sauce!
1. In a large resealable glass container (large mason jars actually work great for this!), combine all ingredients from tamari to black pepper. Add chicken thighs to your mixture and stir to coat well (or pop on the lid and shake if it's a mason jar!).
2. Seal your container and refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the Spicy Mango Salsa and other toppings. In a small serving bowl, combine the prepared mango, red onion, cilantro, and chili pepper. Drizzle with the juice of 1 lime and mix well. Season with salt, to taste. Chill in the refrigerator until serving.
4. For the Sweet Cabbage Slaw, in another small serving bowl, combine the juice of 1/2 lime with the raw honey. Stir until the honey is fully combined with the lime juice. Next, add the shredded cabbage and basil, and toss to coat with lime-honey dressing. Season with salt, to taste, and refrigerate until serving.
5. When you're ready to cook your chicken, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Heat about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large cast iron pan over high heat until hot but not smoking. Place the chicken thighs in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-high and continue cooking until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
6. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for another 6 minutes. Flip the chicken, and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Once cooked through, transfer the chicken to a chopping board and let rest for 5 minutes.
7. Once chicken has rested, give it a rough chop and squeeze with lime juice. Warm the corn tortillas in a separate, dry skillet on medium heat.
8. To assemble your tacos, place chicken in the centre of a tortilla. Top with Spicy Mango Salsa and Sweet Cabbage Slaw, as well as avocado slices and fresh radish.