ALMOND CACAO COOKIES WITH HE SHOU WU
These cookies are grain-free, dairy-free, minimally sweetened, and totally delicious. With a dusting of he shou wu, they make a special treat for your moon time (or anytime, really). The protein and healthy fats from the almonds help balance blood sugar and keep you feeling satisfied, without overdoing it on account of that bit of coconut sugar used to sweeten. Raw cacao is a rich source of minerals like iron and magnesium, which are important to replenish and maintain throughout your entire cycle, but especially during that time of the month.
MAKES 14 COOKIES
1 c. unsweetened almond butter
1/4 c. ground almond meal
1/3 c. coconut sugar
1 tbsp. raw cacao
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 organic, free-range egg
1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
2 tsp. he shou wu, optional
(or another favourite superfood herbal powder)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine almond butter, almond meal, cacao, sugar, and baking soda. Stir until blended well.
3. Next, add the egg and incorporate. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Form tablespoon-size balls of dough and place on the prepared sheet.
5. Bake for about 9-10 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack, dust with he shou wu.